Some of Alex’s highlights
Alex Porter is a strength and conditioning coach, co-founder and program director for CrossFit Auckland.
Alex spent most of his athletic career in the combat sports of Muay Thai and MMA. After retiring from fighting due to injury in 2007 Alex along with his partner Lisa O’Neill opened CrossFit Auckland, NZ’s 2nd CrossFit affiliate.
I’ve always had the bug to strive for mastery in life. Not just athletic performance, but everyday life. The ability to be truly ready and capable to not only meet the challenges life may throw at you, but be ready to make the most of the opportunities that come your way every day.
Now I know this sounds cliché, but don’t you want to be able to run and jump and play with your kids? Wouldn’t being able to learn and play new sports for the rest of your life be awesome? What about just being mobile and pain free for life?
This is why I’m so driven to help people. This is why I get up each and every day and look forward to coming into CFAK – to coach amazing people. The members of CrossFit Auckland, from the kids to the competitive athletes, to the grandmothers, to those looking to lose 30kgs inspire me to be a better person.
- CrossFit® Level 2 Trainer (CF-L2) – under Coach Greg Glassman, Nicole Carroll, Dave Castro, Jolie Gentry, Todd Widdman and Jimi Letchford.
- CrossFit® Competitor’s Coach – under CrossFit Games veterans Matt Chan, Chris Spealler and Eric O’Connor.
- CrossFit® Olympic Weightlifting Coach – under USAW Coach Mike Burgener.
- CrossFit® Gymnastics Level I Coach – under GSX Athletics’ Jeff Tucker.
- CrossFit® Football S&C Coach – under 10 year NFL veteran John Welbourn and Coach Raphael Ruiz.
- CrossFit® Movement and Mobility Coach – under Dr Kelly Starrett.
- CrossFit® Coaches Prep Course – under Coaches Adrian Bozman and Austin Begiebing.
- CrossFit® Running Coach – under POSE Method’s Dr Nicholas Romanov.
- POSE Method® Level I Certified Running Coach.
- CrossFit® Kids Coach – under Coach Todd Widdman.
- CrossFit® Defence Trainer – under Tony Blauer, of Blauer Tactical.
- CrossFit® Online Judges Course.
- CATALYST ATHLETICS Certified Weightlifting Coach – under Coach Greg Everett.
- IKFF Certified Kettlebell Trainer (CKT) – under IKFF President Steve Cotter.
- OUTLAW Training Camp attendee – under Coaches Rudy Nielsen, Dan Tyminski and Chad Mackay.
- Freestyle Connection – Gymnastics Movement Seminar attendee – Coach Carl Paoli.
- HangStrong Gymnastic Movement – FalseGrip Workshop.
- HangStrong Gymnastic Movement – BlindChange Workshop.
- Charles Poliquin PICP Student.
- AUT Certified Fitness Instructor.
- NSCA™ Professional Member (CPT).
- ICNZ MMA Official Level III.
- Former Director of Physical Performance and Founder of Institute of Golf.
- Former Les Mills BodyTrainer BOX™ National Trainer and Course Facilitator.
- Former Les Mills New Zealand Technical Advisor.
- Over a decade of amateur and professional fighting experience, including representing New Zealand on the international circuit and World Championships.
- Studied BA/BCom at UA.
- Numerous Outdoor, Adventure Recreation, Tourism and Management qualifications and experience.
- Landmark® Graduate.
In 2010 Alex lead Team CFAK to victory at the Australia Regional, securing a first place invitation to the 2010 CrossFit Games teams competition. Since then his focus has been solely on the members of CrossFit Auckland community and our athletes’ journey. His passion is our people.
He was a professionally ranked MMA Competitor (NHB/Cage Fighter), held a WMC New Zealand AMB Welterweight Muay Thai title, has represented New Zealand at the IFMA World Championships in 2006 and took the Silver Medal at the Oceania Sanshou Kickboxing elimination tournament in 2007.