Director of Physical Performance
Alex Porter is co-owner, head coach and programmer for CrossFit Auckland.
Alex spent most of his athletic career in the combat sports of Muay Thai and MMA. After retiring from fighting in 2007 Alex, along with partner Lisa O’Neill, opened CrossFit Auckland, NZ’s 2nd CrossFit affiliate.
In 2010 Alex lead Team CFAK to victory at the Australia Regional, securing a first place invitation to the 2010 CrossFit Games teams competition. Since then his focus has been solely on the members of CrossFit Auckland community and our athlete’s journey. His passion is our people.
- CrossFit® Level 2 Trainer (CF-L2) - certificate received under Coach Greg Glassman, Nicole Carroll, Dave Castro, Jolie Gentry, Todd Widdman and Jimi Letchford.
- CrossFit® Competitor’s Coach - certificate received under CrossFit Games veterans Matt Chan, Chris Spealler and Eric O’Connor.
- CrossFit® Olympic Weightlifting Coach - certificate received under USAW Coach Mike Burgener.
- CrossFit® Gymnastics Level I Coach - under certificate received GSX Athletics’ Jeff Tucker.
- CrossFit® Football S&C Coach - certificate received under 10 year NFL veteran John Welbourn and Coach Raphael Ruiz.
- CrossFit® Movement and Mobility Coach - certificate received under Dr Kelly Starrett.
- CrossFit® Coaches Prep Course - certificate received under Adrian Bozman and Austin Begiebing.
- CrossFit® Running Coach - certificate received under POSE Method’s Dr Nicholas Romanov.
- POSE Method® Level I Certified Running Coach.
- CrossFit® Kids Coach.
- CrossFit® Defence Trainer - certificate received under Tony Blauer, of Blauer Tactical.
- CrossFit Online Judges Course Certificate
- CATALYST ATHLETICS Certified Weightlifting Coach - certificate received under Coach Greg Everett.
- IKFF Certified Kettlebell Trainer (CKT) certificate received under IKFF President Steve Cotter.
- OUTLAW Training Camp attendee – with Coaches Rudy Nielsen, Dan Tyminski and Chad Mackay.
- Freestyle Connection – Gymnastics Movement Seminar attendee - with Coach Carl Paoli.
- HangStrong Gymnastic Movement – FalseGrip Workshop.
- HangStrong Gymnastic Movement – BlindChange Workshop.
- Charles Poliquin PICP Student.
- AUT Certified Fitness Instructor.
- NSCA™ Professional Member (CPT).
- ICNZ MMA Official Level III.
- Former Director of Physical Performance and Founder of Institute of Golf.
- Former Les Mills BodyTrainer BOX™ National Trainer and Course Facilitator.
- Former Les Mills New Zealand Technical Advisor.
- Over a decade of amateur and professional fighting experience, including representing New Zealand on the international circuit and World Championships.
- Studied BA/BCom at UA.
- Numerous Outdoor, Adventure Recreation, Tourism and Management qualifications and experience.
- Landmark® Graduate.